Day 05- A picture of somewhere you’ve been to.

Guess where? Yep... a tattoo parlor :)
This particular one is called Otherworld Tattoo, my artist was J Medina.
Fun facts:
- For the first 20 years of my life, I was deathly afraid of needles and was convinced that I could never withstand the pain of getting a tattoo.
- The first time I saw a tattoo that I even remotely liked was when I went to Vegas... I forgot what restaurant it was but there's a Japanese place there and to mark the gender of the bathroom, they have the back of a man and a woman, both with tattoos. The woman had what looked to be lace on half of her back (right side) and the man had a more traditional body suit with a samurai image. I have never been able to get that image out of my head and am sort of considering getting a half-back tattoo if I could ever find something that meant that much to me to get done.
- For the first 2.5 years of our relationship, he was heavily opposed to me ever getting a tattoo.
- Surprisingly, the bf was going to surprise me with a tattoo as my birthday present, but decided he should ask me first (haha, as opposed to.. surprising me ON my birthday with "Guess what! You're getting a tattoo! Happy birthdaaaaay~")
- When I had it done, the only people who knew I was getting it done was my boyfriend, my brother and my best friend of 16 years. My parents didn't find out until I went home and showed them two weeks later -- kind of a funny story xD but the bottom line is that I'm still alive and they haven't disowned me, if you were wondering.
- The actual design is my father's side mon, or his family symbol. My mom thinks it means Wakasa tsurugi katabami (若狭剣片喰). "Wakasa" is the name of the place and "tsurugi" means sword. Traditionally, the males take on their father's mon and the females take their mother's. I also know my mother's side mon, and am considering getting it done on my right wrist in the next few years.
- Placement: I had it done on my left wrist because my dad is VERY left brained. He's thoughtful, logical, very sensible, always looks for the best deals, etc. My mother, conversely, is pretty creative (right brained, thus my right wrist); she used to spend a great deal of time crafting, and is currently getting into Japanese calligraphy and water colouring. YES, I do realize that the right side of the brain controls the left and vice versa, but I don't really care. Thanks but no thanks.
- My artist, J Medina, is actually really into Japanese full body suits and is in process of getting his own done. You can't see it in the picture but he has his face and neck tattooed as well. He actually went to Japan and had a well known Japanese artist complete part of his body suit. His first tattoo? His entire back! It took 5 hours to complete.
As for what I had done..
Here's a bad picture of the mon... photocopied over a few times, then this particular picture was taken with my phone (not an iPhone4 haha, quite obviously). I forgot who actually found it for us but I've had a copy of it in my room for quite some time and recently re-discovered it a few months ago. I inverted the colors when I handed in the design.
PS- If you look closely at the top picture, you can see how hard I'm gripping the arm of the chair.... hahaha.
PPS- On that note, getting a wrist tattoo HURTS like a beeeeeyatch (pain comes and goes). But if you really, really want it, you can get through the pain.
I thought about making a separate blog or do a series of blogposts on the FULL details... process of healing, etc but figured it wouldn't be that interesting. PLUS I hadn't shown my parents yet and my mom reads my blog :P sooo it was kind of out of the question. Feel free to ask questions if you have any, though! :)
12 comments:
>O< ahh i'm deathly afraid of needles...I would made having a cute tattoo on my ankle though ^^ It's great how you picked designs with a lot of meaning
made = not mind xD
...had a dyslexic moment ^^
I didn't know you had a tattoo! Very cool that you got your parents' mon!
Funny story - neither my dad nor my mom know their mon. LOL
SUGOI!!!
Is that the sakamoto family kamon?
ooooooooooh just reread! This is super cool!
I took on Hiros family mon. I like it! It's defo a pretty one but man I wish I could have had his granny's maiden mon!!! Either her mums or her dads would do me! ahaha
Woah I didn't know you had a tattoo, cool! It's nice of your bf to get you one, they are expensive. It's great that your parents came to understand too... well it's not like they can do anything after you got it! LOL XD
you got a tattoo?! i can't believe it. it's nice that you didn't get a super cliche one though. and i'm glad your parents didn't disown you ^^
Gahhh, my parents will probably foam and faint and then disown me if I show up with a tattoo o.O
When did you get your tattoo Sarah? Does it still hurt now?
I can't wait to see it!
I want to see the tattoo!! I want another one... but I still need to figure out (decide fully) what and where. LOL
eeeeeeeeee =D welcome to the ink family! I love your story behind the tattoo too - very meaningful and close to your heart. I never really told my parents about any of the tattoos that I have, but I'm sure they've seen the ones on my back and just haven't said anything...they have less reason to say anything now since my little brother has a half sleeve & like 3 huge pieces on his chest & shoulder, lol. I'd love to see it once it's healed!
EEP!! I don't even know what our family mon is... Actually the sad thing is I don't think anyone on either side of my fam really knows what theirs is.
Awww.. damnn... I want one on my wrist too!! But I'm soo scared of the pain... I'm surprised I was fine w/ the one on my shoulder.
Post a Comment