Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Reviews: Sunscreen, moisturizer, upcoming





COLORESCIENCE SUNFORGETTABLE SPF30 SUN PROTECTION


my dermatologist recommended that i use a sunscreen daily.. since i wasn't (GASP!). this is in a powder form (obviously) and is also the sample size that i received from the store. the actual full size is $50 per so i had to be sure that i liked it, haha!

the sample size is .08 oz and comes with a sifter, as pictured.
the full size is .23 oz and comes with a brush. BUY HERE.

the shade pictured is "almost clear".. which definitely acts like a bronzer for my bf (unfortunately i don't know his MAC shade, hahaha!). pre-tan, it also acted as a slight bronzer for me (about nc35-37). post-tan.. i don't really notice it as much, but even pre-tan it wasn't that big of a difference. there's 6 different shades.. you can see it on the WEBSITE. it's not their actual website.. i think it got hacked or something? safari keeps warning me before i go to open it :( so who knows.

it's really quite easy to use. i go through my normal face primer/bb cream/concealer/maybelline dream matte powder.. then add on a layer of this, then go to my blush/contour/highlight. i found if i did blush/etc BEFORE i put on the powder, it basically erased my efforts, hahaha.

apparently the full size takes a very long time to go through.. my derm. said she and her 2 girls use it daily and it's been about 6 months or something ridiculous like that. i don't know the ease of application with the full size, but i'll let you know in a week or so when i have money to go get it, hahaha.

i had this sample size and used it basically daily (definitely some days where i didn't go out, so i didn't bother) and it's finally almost done.. and it's been about 6 weeks! so you can see, you don't really need that much powder for a full face application.. and i was putting some on the back of my hands as well.

it goes on nicely and feels just like any other powder. the only time i've really had to test it's durability, i was gardening and was dripping sweat.. sooooo.. i don't know if that's a fair test for it, hahaha. i can say at least that it wasn't dripping off, it was definitely me wiping my forehead for it to come off.. and that may have been some of my other makeup as well.

overall.. i really, really like this product. the bf does too! hahaha. and the shade i got gives him a really nice tan :) i'd say if i were to get a full size (well, when i do) that i'd get CLEAR.. just because i don't always want to look bronzey. but i haven't quite decided yet. might go back and see if they have the other colors in the sample shades.. or if i can get some to have a GIVEAWAY.. oh what? :P we'll see what the store has to say.

SCENT: little to none. none of that typical sun-screen smell.
USAGE: sample size is very easy to use. don't know about the full size, will report back later!
PRICE: 4/5.. lasts a long time but still, a little pricey for me.

i'd give it a (temporary) 5/5! i'll be doing some UV-reflective photography next week thurs so i'll test how efficient it actually is. so be sure to check back for that official review and the imagery!













NEUTROGENA OIL-FREE SUNBLOCK LOTION SPF45

i've had this for a couple YEARS and also bought several bottles. i have 2 currently and probably gone through at least 1 bottle if not 2. got this mostly because i was playing tennis (team tennis for high school) and.. actually, i think my mom got this for me. probably because it says it WON'T CLOG PORES! woohooo :)

it has that strong typical sunscreen smell but it definitely fades.

it's easy to use. of course i had one in my tennis bag so it separated.. but if you shake it enough, it's OK. and in normal room temperatures, it shouldn't separate. i use about a dime to nickel size for my face and neck and the back of my hands. it feels a little greasy when you first apply it but then it sinks in and feels natural.

i've been lazy about applying makeup since it's so hot and i don't want my face to melt off so my daily routine has been primer - sunblock - concealer - powder - contour/blush/highlight. it makes a nice surface for the powder to stick to, sort of like the BB.

all in all.. if i was really responsible with money, i would definitely just keep using this sunscreen instead of spending $50 on the powder one, hahaha. BUT you know, i'll ask my derm if one is "better" and we'll see from there. but as far as i'm concerned, this has a higher SPF rating and works well, and is MUCH cheaper.

you can find it at any drugstore for around $10 i believe :) i don't actually know how long it takes to go through one bottle but i can assure you it takes awhile, and back in my tennis days i was using it on my arms, legs, etc. as well and i wasn't eating up bottles or anything.

OVERALL 4.5/5
i'm not too fond of the scent but it fades away pretty quickly. i haven't seen an increase in whiteheads/blackheads so i assume it's keeping up with its promise that it won't clog your pores. this also doesn't make me break out OR cause my rosacea to flare up.

i'll be doing some UV-reflective photography next week thurs so i'll test how efficient it actually is. so be sure to check back for that official review and the imagery!













COSMEDICINE HEALTHY CLEANSE FOR OILY SKIN

i believe i received this from WHIT (correct me if i'm wrong) in a swap :D i used it once then forgot about it (counter is so small, i can't find some items if i'm in a hurry!! so lame).. so i went back to trying to use it after my recent realization that i have horribly oily skin in the summer.

you apply it onto a damp hand and it comes out as a foam (i only used one pump).. then you apply it on to your dry face. it's kind of weird at first.. but.. you get used to it. after you rub it in (focusing on your trouble areas), then you rinse it off with water and continue the rest of your facial care routine.

i'm not quite sure what it smells like.. something medicinal.. i'm not in love with it but i wouldn't stop using it because of the scent.

maybe i'm really picky but i didn't see an improvement in my oilies when i was using this product.. then again i only used it for 4-5 days then stopped because it just wasn't doing anything for me. it worked fine as a cleanser though :)

OVERALL RATING 2.5/5.. so far! i'll keep trying!! and will report back in a month (or whenever i run out, haha).

WUZZY also did a review and it seemed to work for her though! so do give it a try :)












HIYORI.. blotting sheets (bought in japan)

these are really, really awesome blotting sheets. and man, i don't know why i uploaded this since i haven't done a comparison (btwn this and my nuskin blotting sheets.. which i can't find at the moment) or pics or anything.

consider this a REVIEW IN PROCESS! :P

*EDIT.. just kidding. i started writing this entry last night but got caught up talking to HOLLYANNAEREE (girl, you distracting!!) and decided to take a pic.. tonight.

here's my nose/cheek area.. just ONE sheet. you can KIND OF see just how bad my oilies are at the moment :( the entire sheet is aallllll oil. OIL SLICK! i just applied moisturizer/etc i would say.. about.. 1 to 1.5 hours ago. i wouldn't say my eating habits are more or less healthy, i think it's mostly the heat, if not entirely the heat's fault. i HAVE been eating much less rice though.. hahaha! i don't think that would change anything :P

i'll come back to this review (and probably post a new entry about it) comparing it to my nuskin blotting sheets.. when i can find them :(

they work super well though! as you can see. and i'm down to 2 sheets! just enough for a review, eeeekkk :( I WANT MORE!! sucks that i bought it in japan though :( blegh.
















YES TO TOMATOES FACIAL HYDRATING LOTION

as the bottle says, it's meant for oily/combo skin.. PERFECT for me, right? i purchased this after making friends with the girl at the cosmetics counter at walgreens (yess! drugstore items!).

i'd have to say one of the best features is the SCENT. it may be a little strong for some but it's fine for me, since i actually like the scent. it's.. hmm.. something between floral and fruity (haha! i'm so bad with classifying things).. pretty sweet in general, but not quite so "candy" sweet.

i purchased this in mid-may and was using it daily and was trying to get the boyfriend to use it daily, since he has pretty dry skin too. i'd say i have about 3/5 of the bottle left. that's not too bad. you can purchase the bottle at walgreens (i haven't seen this at longs drugs/CVS but then again i haven't looked) for $14.99.. so it's not the cheapest item but it's definitely a good price, IMO. BUY HERE!

it was working really well for me when it wasn't quite so hot. my skin felt pretty soft and hydrated and i wasn't getting very oily. but when the summer months rolled around.. either my skin changed, or something. i had a huge dry patch on my chin that i couldn't get rid of, though the rest of my face was fine. i noticed after i stopped using this daily, i became more oily, EEP! may start using this again and see if my oiliness goes back down again.

the one thing i didn't like about it was it didn't sink into my skin 100%.. it still left my skin feeling slightly tacky, even after rubbing it into my face for several minutes.

OVERALL.. the scent may be strong for some but i like it. i'd say you might go through one bottle (if you use it once or twice daily) in about 2-3 months? but don't quote me on that. i give it a 4.5/5.. i'll keep using it and will get back to you on the oil control :)











MOISTURIZERS!

the reason why i have so many is because my skintype is oily/combo.. but a month or so ago i developed a huuuuuge dry patch on my skin, and i had no idea why. the first moisturizer worked fine for me but since it wasn't doing anything for the dry patch, i figured i should try other moisturizers. as a note, it's almost gone but that's mostly because i scratched at it and it scabbed over.. etc.. neosporin is awesome :) haha.

ONTO THE REVIEWS!










YES TO CUCUMBERS FACIAL HYDRATING LOTION

i bought this initially for the boyfriend, since he has dry/normal skin. i believe he actually preferred the "yes to tomatoes"! since it has different ingredients, it smells different.. reminds me somewhat of the bath and body works "cucumber melon" scent, except less strong. i started using it because i thought maybe my skin had changed somehow (WRONG!), and i prefer the "yes to tomatoes" scent as well. i'd say.. it smells.. cooler. does that make sense? haha.

at first, my boyfriend thought the yes to cucumbers felt more oily when he applied it but after a few minutes, he changed his mind. i agree. i just swatched it onto my arm to see if there was any difference between how the two sank into my skin/felt while applying.. but it's the same. it still has the slightly tacky feeling.

i can't really do a very thorough review on this since i mostly use the YES TO TOMATOES since it fits my skintype better. from what i remember, it didn't do quite as good of a job holding back the oilies, but you know.. that's not what it's really for. since i don't use this, i'm debating on putting it up on my blogsale.. or maybe sending it off with the boyfriend when he goes on his 2-3wk long trip. we'll see :)

OVERALL RATING.. pending. i'll have the bf give me some thoughts (if he'll cooperate) after he comes back from his trip (july 30th to august 16th). based on scent and oil controlling abilities, i'd give it a 3.5/5 but this is NOT accurate since i didn't use it for very long.












NEUTROGENA OIL-FREE MOISTURE FOR COMBINATION SKIN

this is my current moisturizer.. i started using it after not using moisturizer for a few days. i do like how it sinks into my skin after being massaged in.. and feels smooth/natural again. i however do NOT like the scent.. it smells sort of.. plastic-y.

as i've only been using it for a few days, i'll make a more official review later :P









just wanted to show you guys what i've been using, and see if any of you have suggestions/etc for me T__T; or tips on reviewing or if you'd like any other information to be included, etc..

hope this helps!! :)

24 comments:

Catherine said...

WOW that's a whole lot of reviews! I'm really tempted to try the Yes to Carrots toner... and OMG I've been looking at that Colorscience sunscreen!! Have you tried the Jane Iredale Powder-Me? It's $44, I think, but if has a puff instead of a brush. Let me know how the full size brush is - I skipped on PTR and BE since the brushes were too scratchy.

Anastacia said...

OMG! I just got 2 items which I totally need from this post!
Thanq for the review!

Marie. said...

I'm so bad with wearing SPF! I hate the feeling of it on my face and my skin. I bought the Sephora sun bag with all the different SPF's and I havent been using them LOL!

Bijin Blair said...

This one long post! Thanks for all the reviews! Maybe you can give SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen from BE a try =D

acutelife said...

That's one long heaps of reviews :D have you tried neutrogena ultra sheer?my sis likes it so much coz it doesn't oily at all :)

Kalmo said...

Hi,

This is my first time coming across your blog and I must say you have a new follower! I love all your detailed and informative reviews! Great blog!

wuzzyangel said...

Whoa!! Load up on the reviews!! LOL!!

Derm recommended huh?! Sounds promising!! Can't wait to hear what the FULL SIZE review gets! LOL!!

And yes the COSMEDICINE does work, after the 1st week I was like... ehh too, but keep using it! Trust me!! I just bought a full size bottle with my Sephora CG (see didn't break the no-buy)!

I'm waiting on the final reviews from you for the YESTO products too! LOL! :)

Great job Sarah! :)

Chrissy said...

Wow, this is a lot of product reviews! Now I really want to try that first product, the powder...wow. I seriously want that! Now if only I had money.

Sofie said...

Alot of super helpful reviews! Thank you so much!

Funkiimonkee said...

I never put on sunscreen! Eeek! they always make me break out:(

miRaCLe said...

wow!! such a long review!! :D
thanks for sharing with us! hehes

the powder sunscreen seems great! :)

xoxo

Whitney & the full effect said...

aww dang 2.5 out of 5???? wtf? haha jk.

i love the regular one better than the one for oily skin- cuz it removes all eye makeup without burning- maybe I should have sent you that instead. shit! lol

Ahleessa said...

Wow that sure is a lot of reviews! Thanks for doing the reviews, but I didn't read couple of them since I'm allergic to spf products. :( I did enjoy the other ones. :)

fuzkittie said...

Wow this is the most extensive review post I've ever read!! You've got everything covered girl! xD Wonderful job.

Ahleessa said...

Thank you for giving me the link! I'll definitely read it later when my head is functioning... hehe~ Even though I'm allergic to spf products, I still wear sunscreen. I have a cheap brand I use that doesn't do any harm to me... wheee~ :)

Anonymous said...

Whoooooa! This review post is MASSIVE!

I looove Neutrogena's sunblocks! I use the spray one and the facial moisturizer :D Although...my boyfriend keeps telling me that he heard some kind of report that Neutrogena's sunscreens have bad chemicals in it :S I dunno though. :S

haha I am sooo not thin. That's an old picture from when I still had the lingering remnants of my wrestler's body. lol

Thanks for the gen. answer. I was thinking that too, but I wasn't sure. haha. :)

K said...

Wow, that first powder looks awesome! I wonder if we have a product like that here?

K said...

I found a place that imports this into Japan... but it's $70!!!!! Too bad...

Anonymous said...

OH MYYYY! so many reviews!
thanks!

Iyah Love said...

great reviews!! :) I am looking for a good sunscreen! :) btw, you should have come to santee!! I would love to meet you!!!

MiuMiu said...

i'm totally looking forward to trying something from the Yes To _____. mainly the body moisturizers. I still picture it to smell like carrots or tomatoes..and that'll be weird if it smelled like tomatoes haha

i'm soo bad i don't use sunscreen daily!..on my body. but if i was to get that colorescience sunscreen..i think id force myself to use it everyday because of how much it is.

Edna said...

Thanks for the reviews. The colorscience sunscreen looks pretty promising. I'm using the Bare Minerals mineral sunscreen for now. It's perfect for on the go :)

Sassy J'adore said...

oO..thanks for sharing reviews on these products. Somes days I skip sunscreen and I know I shouldn't. I do wear products or at least try to wear products with SPF most of the time. Yea, Cosmedicine products don't really work for me somehow. I tried two or three products from them and didn't really like it all that much.

Yumeko said...

i have oily tzone too so this post really works for me!! thankies