Sorry for the lack of updates... had a wedding all day Wednesday (before Thanksgiving), then Thanksgiving with my family, then I left Friday 6:30AM for Houston... got back Monday, early afternoon.. and.. headed to San Diego that night for a job that I'm still currently on. Why am I blogging? I can't sleep -_- insane huh. Esp after you read my hours, lol. I ranted for a bit, just to warn you..
Day 06- A hobby you have.
Moto Jewelry: check it out!
Started sometime around March/April of last year and been going since. Now that I've graduated and am out working, it's harder for me to find time to craft but I definitely still love doing it. I love that there are people all over the world wearing something that's handmade - by me!
Man... I know all jobs are pretty hard but photography/cinematography is definitely more strenuous than people think (even my mom was surprised). I've been on this particular job since Monday night (flew in from Houston on Monday also) and so far I've had a 5:30am wake up, leading to a 13 hour day (insanely packed schedule) + 3-4 hours managing media (downloading, organizing and backing up files) as well as a 7:45am wake up (even though I wasn't supposed to go in until 10am) which lead to a 7 hour day (abnormally short but insanely packed as well)+ 3-4 hours managing media. Ate at 8:30am, 10:00am then didn't eat again until 6:30pm, just because I didn't have time.
At weddings, your days are usually 8 hours (contract standard, but sometimes it's definitely way way longer) not including driving time or the time for set up/break down (packing), or the prep you do before the wedding. Not to mention that some people don't factor in time for us to take a break (or eat sometimes), just because we're "on the clock" and "need to be working all the time". I understand that, a wedding day is about the COUPLE and not ME but it's nice to be considered as a human being sometimes, you know?
I'm not trying to sound inconsiderate, I definitely love being able to do what I love for a career (not job), being able to chase my dreams. It's just hard sometimes. People think, "oh you're a photographer/cinematographer... what are you doing to do?" because the industry makes so many consumer cameras (geared at non-professionals) and the new Panasonic ad just tells people to get their camera takes such awesome pictures that you can have your own gallery showing.. it's sort of frustrating. I'm all for people who love photography/cinema but when the art of photography is cheapened by these ads, then it makes it a little harder on us who are trying to make a living with it versus picking up a side job or hobby. What's the point of having a DSLR if you're going to put it on automatic?? The controls are there for a reason, not only to "keep up appearances".. looking like a less amateur amateur. #iknowimbeingharsh
I think what frustrates professionals the most is people comparing prices without considering the level of service they would receive. "I want this price because I found it on here and here... but I like your stuff better." It makes me want to reply with "sooooooo?" or "where were you going with this?"or "did you realize that I'm not that and such company/ies?" I guess it's also partly society because we're almost trained to "just ask" because "you never know what will happen". It's not that we don't WANT to empathize, it's just that we also have bills to pay. This is our job, our career, our life path. Other people may be able to offer lower prices because of this or that, maybe they don't understand the reasons behind pricing, maybe they don't need the money... but that's not me. I know lots of companies and people who aren't those kinds of people either.
But then again I guess that goes for all professionals, no matter what the field is.
Keep in mind these are my own opinions.
(IT'Z AWL IMO, LAWLZ)
#imjustsaying
and also:
#ivebeenawakeforwaytoolong
#ithinktoomuch
#iamverypessimisticwhenexhausted
#insertpanasoniccommercial
What do YOU think?
4 comments:
I really admire how you're living the dream - aka doing what you love ^_^
as for the people who like to negotiate.... I think that's people misinterpreting what "just ask" means :P If your prices are set at $x for y hours, the person should pay exactly that. You get what you pay for. The only time I think someone should "just ask"/try to negotiate is when the situation is super unique or they can offer you something other than money that would benefit you.
It sucks you have to put up with that but I'm not surprised people want to book you - you take really pretty photos ^_^
Ever since I started taking pictures of products for my blog, I've realized how hard it is to take good pictures. I know for SURE that when I get married, I want a professional to take the pictures. It would be even better if the pictures were taking by a professional who is my friend!!
that's so cool you take pics for a living! i didnt know that :) but i agree with you i feel like EVERRRYBODY wants to be a photographer and buy dslr its ridiculous. i know i dont know how to use those things so i stick to my point and shoot! lol i WISH i could take nicer pictures but idk i just don't have the patience or time to learn it all. but i think a professional is necessary for big events like weddings, etc. i think photographers really have a way of capturing moments perfectly as opposed to just snapping away i think more people should appreciate it :)
I can't see the video right now, but I think it's the same one that I caught on tv the other day...and I'll admit that I thought it was funny, but an odd marketing tactic. Yes, the average consumer will see it and think "Hey! I can take pictures and turn them into art prints, and it will make me a photographer!" without REALLY knowing what they did to get the shot that way, but it definitely takes a jab at all of the real photographers out there, that learned how to use a camera and could take the same photo completely in manual and explain how everything works.
anyway...look at me ranting, haha. I envy you for what you're doing right now :) I know the hours are insane and you're tired/busy/falling behind with almost everything else, but at the end of the day, you know it was all worth it.
And now that you mentioned it, I will remember that whoever is my photographer for my future wedding/reception, I will totally make sure that they get a break and something to eat :)
Post a Comment