Saturday, February 20, 2010

Flowers


Flowers that the bf gave me at the beg of Feb.. just forgot to post these pics :P



Gorgeous! I love these kinds of flowers.. last for about 2 weeks.. smell pretty nice.. very vivid.



This is in mid week 2 I think.. petals and leaves started falling off.. and the stigma*.. created juice. Hahaha. Oh and another downfall about these flowers is the FREAKING POLLEN.. if you get it on you.. it stains!!





* stigma.. see diagram.

Did any of you had to memorize flower parts in high school science? Or was that before that? I can't remember..





Which reminds me.. I had a presentation in my ENG class.. and at the end of our presentation, we had candy/etc to give away.. so part of my question was "Name one ancient Greek or Roman who influenced writing in the Renaissance period".. AND NO ONE KNEW! Come onnn! Artistotle, Homer, Plato, SOMEONE! And nooo one knew..

Call me a nerd but I thought that was a huge FAIL moment for the class. I'm going to hope that someone knew but wasn't sure and didn't want to answer wrong. But I'm probably wrong to hold on to that hope..

PS- I find the Renaissance period fascinating.. I think I really do like history. Machiavelli.. Utopia.. sonnet.. Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet!).. political parties.. da Vinci.. parachutes.. beer bottles (yup, they were invented in the Renaissance time period!).





Haha! Only a true nerd would know this (nerd represent!). I tried to word it as ambiguously as possible.. as to avoid people looking it up in Google.

First person to tell me whose work/book rivaled Machiavelli (in a later time period).. still concerning the nature of man.. Machiavelli and _____'s books inspired the political parties platforms.. relating to government..

First correct answer will receive a $5 gift cert for one future purchase at MotoJewelry ;)

14 comments:

K said...

Marx?

Love the flowers :)

CHARRY said...

pretty flowers!

Sunkissed Nina said...

Was it Thomas Hobbes? He wrote the Leviathan which posited that man is naturally not good but was rather a selfish hedonist?

Kalmo said...

What pretty flowers! Your bf is so nice. haha I remember having to remember the flower parts in school too.

Unknown said...

OMG I read Niccolo Machiavelli's the Prince when I was in me teens and it stained me! Seriously!! BETTER TO BE FEARED THAN LOVED!!! GRRRRRRRRR see my mean face 'moto? LMAO

Swtest2Lips said...

Love little questions like this although Its been forever since Ive taken a Phil course, but I would guess Thomas Hobbes. Great blog btw, I love questions and games that promote audience interaction

vy.francesca.le said...

stargazer lilies?
haha Dylan got me the same ones, I was just about to blog about them (:

Catherine said...

Gorgeous flowers!

Ah... hmm. Girl, there are so many philosophers who wrote on the nature of man and spawned political platforms! I think the other girls are right that Hobbes probably had the most similar thinking to Machiavelli's The Prince, but I think The Prince was more of a resume than what Machiavelli actually believed in. But Rousseau, Locke, Montesquieu, etc all wrote on the nature of man and how he should be governed.

Anastacia said...

So beautiful flowers!!!

Tsuze said...

I learnt the name of the flower parts in Biology class in High School. Still remembers some, thanks for refreshing my memories! Hahah... I was wondering if I'm the only one who rembs them just yest. :)

amynaree said...

awww those flowers are gorgeous!

✿Ji✿ said...

OMG the flowers are beautiful!♥
Yay for flowers from the BF!;)

Anonymous said...

Wooow! Beautiful flowers!! :D

Hahaha! Your comment made my day Izumi! :D

Yumiko said...

those are my favorite flowers too. i like them a lot. and yes i had to learn the plant parts in my botany class and also in principles biology . i have a good memory of them parts. and yes the male part, anthers, that produces pollen really stains