my parents are definitely technologically challenged.
my brother and i collectively taught our mother how to use the computer, do various things like checking email, browsing the internet, how to use google, etc. and she's fairly proficient at that. she likes to send me forwards at least once a week and some are cute and funny, and others are warning me of not to eat this or do that or killers on the loose (you know, typical stuff). a few years ago we taught her how to make statements for my dad's business since i went off to college and my brother had become too cool to do them when he went off to college 7 years prior. she no longer types with two fingers. she also has an ipod (my old one) that she has taken the time to update and make "her own" (her own songs, etc).
my father on the other hand.. refuses to learn how to use computers. he still uses a typewriter. he tells people he doesn't know how to turn computers on because--he doesn't. he hasn't taken the slightest moment of our his life to attempt to try to learn how to use computers. he has since graduated from filling out most paperwork (rebates, etc) and passed it on to my brother or myself (when i'm home). is it pride? who knows. it's still a mystery to me but i've long since accepted it.
he does, however, have a cellphone.. and he can pick up calls. thoughhh i don't think he's ever called me.. oh wait, yes he has. mother complains occasionally that she doesn't have a cellphone though the only time she calls is to tell us that she's 5 minutes away from home (slightly exaggerated but not by much, i assure you). my dad prides himself in the fact that he uses 20 minutes or less per month. they are a strange pair (but i do love them so).
SO.. imagine my surprise when i open up my phone to find 6 unread text messages. the only time when i have that many is when people spam twitter or forget that IM's go to my phone.. or when i forget to check my phone for a day or two, it dies, i turn it on and.. etc.
4 blank messages.. strange.
stranger? they were from my parents!
then an explanation message from my brother:
"I'm trying to teach mom to text. She is gonna say bring back the ice box when u come home"
a real message from my parents' phone:
"Hey SARAH when are you coming down here"
which i quickly realized was probably my brother showing my mom how to text.
and i even more quickly giggled.. picturing in my head my brother texting, my mom furiously scribbling down notes..... HEHEHE. my mom loves writing down notes as to how to do things (and equally loves asking us questions instead of referencing said notes).
more messages from my parents today. blank spaces are blank texts. parenthesis are my comments :P
As
Hey practicing . Text me when u leave (she got the 'u' down too! LOL)
Are t t
Are t u going to play tomorow
Ok thanks
Where
Where
Where as
To what city
(end messages from my mom.. for now)
my parents came home and my mom came into the house with a big grin on her face and asked if i had gotten her text messages.. then told me that i need to help her and that she needs to write down notes.
i'm so proud of my mommy :)
some other hilarious sites to visit:
13 comments:
Awww cute story! It's nice that your mom thinks of you so much. ^^
My mom doesn't know how to text or use the computer either. Ah, but she doesn't want to learn every time I try to show her lol.
P.S.
I'm lagging on my Studio Sculpt concealer because the shade I have now is too light for my summer tan. I got it back in January when I was much lighter. LOL Basically I don't like it at all though, the coverage is bad and it doesn't not last long on the skin even when set with powder. Just my experience though! :)
Awwww, LOL - your mom is so cute!
I totally remember when my brother taught my mom to text. When I talked to her on the phone I could seriously HEAR her grin she was so excited hahaha. =)
haha my little brother and i also have a difficult time updating my parents on new technology! They are both pretty proficient at emails and texts now, but occasionally i do get texts from my mom with no spaces in between the words lol
Haha that's so cute!! But I know how you feel! My pop only got a cell like 7 yrs ago. Trust me by then EVERYONE had a cell! LOL! And then when the iPhone came out, his work got him one.
He STILL doesn't know how to use all of it! LOL! My half bro bought & shipped him down user books and everything! LOL!
bahhahhaa i love it!!! especially the text messages... haha! and your dad doesn't use a computer AT ALL? i find that hard to believe in this day and age but applaud him for surviving! haha! ;P
I was teaching my mom how to use email and she had to write down notes, even though there's only 3 steps lol! Its cute. Frustrating, but at some point cute. They learned how to text on their own. My dad actually texts faster than I do! How sad lol.
Your parents are amazing!
Just great!
Aaw.. haha, your mom is so adorable ^^ With my parents it's the opposite. My dad uses the computer almost every day and has a cell, my mom on the other hand..haha, oh well, she forgot her password to her e-mail account because she hadn't checked her in-box in a month!
First time I asked my mom to take to mouse and point and click on a box on the screen, she PHYSICALLY took the mouse and planted it on the screen! LOL Aah...mothers...
LOL, my mummy is the same!!!
She sent "I am 5" to me... and I was like "Huh, what is 5?"
Turns out that 5 = fine hahaa!
awww! i just got my mom texting on her phone. she gets so excited when i text her or when she texts me. hahaha. she still doesn't know how to check her voice messages. <3 Rina
hehehe sounds like your mom is gonna get addicted to texting =D
lol niiice! My mom's learning how too. It takes her forever to text. lol.
Ugh, yeah finding jobs here is soo horrible. :( I was so lucky to find this job opening. Hopefully I get it :S
aww, your mom is adorable :) my mom's cell phone savvy - too savvy, whenever she sends me a text it's like decoding a message because she takes out vowels to save characters, and types in english AND tagalog...so message to "please call the house later to talk to dad" shows up on my phone as "pls kol bahay l8r 2 spk 2 dad"...that was an easy one, lol. I've stared at my phone for 5 minutes trying to figure out a text =P my dad on the other hand...I'm glad if he can answer his cell and not hang up by accident during the call, lol.
Post a Comment