Saturday, May 23, 2009

FAIL moment

i had a serious JAPANESE FAIL moment today.. -____-


was at the japanese store, buying snacks and goodies and whatnot.. eyed some dorayaki, saw the cashier (who had only spoken to me in english so far) had finished checking out my stuff, so i handed it to her and said (i don't know WHY), "kore mo" (this also). 

she gave me a BIG smile, started talking to me in japanese (the traditional cashier-customer conversation), pointed at the sign taped to the front of the register that said "arubaito" (part-time job), etc etc.. except, i spazzed and didn't even try to read the sign (for fear of me taking forever? i don't know what i was thinking). she smiled, talked more (i could understand her).. and.. 

i. could. not. respond.

i don't know! my japanese just FAILED. i couldn't even think of how to say "i'm interested, but is it ok if my japanese is really bad?". and i didn't want to reply in english for whatever reason--even though it would then be obvious that i could UNDERSTAND japanese at least. i probably seemed incredibly offstandish and rude for not replying, much less talking for the rest of the time.

so i just smiled dumbly, signed the receipt, mumbled a quiet "thank you" (in ENGLISH) and walked out, ready to smack my forehead into the steering wheel of my car, mortified. 







on another note, my upper cheeks near my nose are not happy with me. 

went to go wash off my face last night and found two bumps (not pimples, just.. bumps), one on each cheek. now, i don't know what product caused the bumps. it could've been from the hanskin caviar bb (that i wore that day) or from the revlon foundation (that i wore the day before).. or maybe a mix of one or two of those PLUS the fact that i'm probably nearing my period. 

i doused the general area on both cheeks with my acne treatment cream, let it sit.. went to go wash my face, decided to try COSMEDICINE healthy cleanse for oily skin (massaged it into my t-zone and cheek area).. applied MORE acne treatment cream (far more than i normally do) along with my normal face routine. 

slept.

woke up in the morning to find that part of my cheeks VERY dry (and flakey). of course id on't know if this is from the cosmedicine or the fact that i probably used too much of my acne cream (which is probably more likely, considering that acne cream is drying, right?). who knows. 

tried using an extra dose of korres moisturizer and did not see immediate effects (d'oh, probably didn't wait long enough) so i put on a face and went to walgreens (FACE SHOP MASKS ON CLEARANCE! of course the SB one wasn't clearance.. and was mostly empty). 

bought:
- YES TO TOMATOES facial hydrating lotion
- MERLOT hydrating toner
- 4 total faceshop masks

had a really good conversation with the beauty dept cashier.. found out she's going to attend brooks (my school) in september! also asked if she wanted to model (need to find 2 couples to shoot for an asgn due friday) with her bf.. and got a tentative "yes". she highly recommended the "yes to tomatoes" and the merlot (though not from personal experience). 

not that i've been using my witch hazel toner for very long.. but i've been eyeing the MERLOT stuff for awhile. i guess i'm just not patient enough with skincare (unless it's a product benzoyl peroxide, which i have complete and total faith in).. 




i was also asked about the revlon foundation.. and my answer is, i can't respond or review it, since i haven't used the product more than once. therefore it probably wouldn't give you a very good idea of the product. 

the reason why i review the bb's is because i've been using the skinfood mushroom bb and know that it hasn't given me adverse effects before, therefore it's a pretty safe thing to be putting on my face. plus i'm mostly seeing its color match to my face/neck and its oil control. BUT i will be testing the hanskin (along with the revlon foundation) further to see which one (if either) caused me to break out :) 




QUESTION
have you guys heard anything about the MERLOT line or the YES TO TOMATOES (or carrots or.. whatever the other one was..) line?

21 comments:

K said...

Oooooh, don't worry too much! I have those moments even though I live in Japan!!!

Unknown said...

hahaha it's okay I have my share of filipino fail moments (especially when they start talking in deep filipino) but I just smile and nod and pretend I understood everything. Hehehe ;P

Sugar Bunnie said...

lol,♥

sokpoprocks said...

my mom uses yes to carrots, and she loves it, she will only use that brand, and she's OLD, so shes tried many diferent things, (she used to only use creams shipped in from cambodia, and then, only oil of olay products)

and i have fail moments ALLL the time. i used to be very fluent in cambodian language when i was younger, then when i started high school, i only spoke english more and more often, now i can barely hold conversation with my mom sometimes, i feel so bad!

Unknown said...

Hey sarah~~ I'm a new follower of your blog! Yeah.. I totally have those blank out in japanese moments too!! I hate it when I forget how to say stuff in polite form and have to go in the informal (sounds so rude..) Hope your skin gets better!

acutelife said...

Lolz don't worry, I have those moments too
(With mandarin) lolz.humm..I dunno if this
Will work for everyone or prolly case by case,
When I have acnes threats (bumps that haven't
Fully developed into real acnes),I put my cream
Mask and let it sit for 1-2hours n then rinse off,
And then acne cream.it doesn't make the skin as dry,anyway...
That's what I usually do :P

MiuMiu said...

hehehe...sorry i thought that was funny. i could just imagine you looking like a deer facing head lights XD sometimes i do that when i talk to chinese SAs..like I understand them, but since i think my chinese is crappy, i probably say the wrong phrases to them haha
maybe you could try mixing some rolled oats and honey for your dry cheeks, it's supposed to help soften your skin.

Author said...

dont worrt..everyone have to pass on such moments...!! :)
n that part,where u said that u walked out..'ready to smack my forehead into the steering wheel of my car' ..thats funny..p..s:Dont mind haa..?
n hope it get better with ur skin..!!

ilovepink said...

oo which japanese place did u go to? is it the one on fairview? near trader joes? haha if so..yea i saw that sign where they need a part time worker.
i took japanese for 2 years. but im its been like 2 yrs now so. i forgot most of it. >.<

Kristina said...

Oh don't worry! Everyone has those moments at least once or more times in their lives. I have those moments when it comes to speaking Spanish with people I don't know too well and I have grown up with Spanish being spoken and taught to me...Sad but true!

ღ Caroline♔ said...

OMG! that happens to me all the time! haha so fail and embarrassing lol xD but i don't know Japanese to begin with! the SA I encounter in Japanese markets and boutiques assume I'm japanese and start to speak to me and I just smile dumbly and nod, then walk away! haha >:P
I
i haven't heard of MERLOT, but I saw Yes To Carrots! while I was in Walgreens! xD hehe I was gonna get the lip balm for you to try! so you can review it! but then i didn't bc I decided on something else! but you're lucky to find Face Shop masks in your Walgreens! I've gone to 3 and NONE of them carried it! :'( very sad!

eki said...

Hi Izu chan, aw I know sometime I freeze up too when older japanese person talks to me LOL
my formal sucks used to just talkng to my mom so :P

Im sorry your skin is giving you so much trouble have you ever tried out dermalogica line? I started using it since my bestfriend was using it like a year ago just the facial wash since they are expensive but it made a big difference!
her sister is the one started using it since she was having trouble with acne after not seeing her for like 6 month I was shocked how smoother her skin was!! she wasnt even wearing any foundation since she said her skin was so clear she didnt need to hide it!

Jamilla Camel said...

Don't worry about the FAIL moments--for some reason, I'm OK reading stuff in Japanese, German, French, Italian, etc. but I am really shy when having to actually SPEAK in another language!!

Have you seen a cosmetic dermatologisht for your skin? I think you should stick with sensitive skin products like Laroche Posay, with ingredients like salicylic acide or benzoyl peroxide in the meantime. Good luck!

Lolita Riot said...

lol youre too funny! thats pretty cool that you understood though... I know some words but I dare not pronounce! my cheeks have been getting dry too and its hard finding a moisturizer that is just right and wont clog pores! I think they sell those yes to carrots thing here, I never pay attention though so I could be wrong lol

Jenn said...

It's ok, I have fail moments like that all the time. So I try to have the bf do the talking.

I've tried the yes to carrots body scrub - it wasn't bad, although I thought it smelled funny.

I'm not patient with skincare stuff either. I try to stick with a product but usually something shinier comes along and I switch.

Anonymous said...

Ohh I totally understand. I get those moments often, especially when I was out grocery shopping in japan. Lol. The cashiers would talk to me and I would just totally blank out...but I'm not fluent in japanese yet. :( still working on it. :)

wuzzyangel said...

HA! At least you could understand her! I can't even do that much!! Kore mo is unknown to me! LOL!

I hope the bumps go away... It's prob a combo of mixing foundations & your monthly friend... And the drying is most likely the acne cream...

Let us know how the MERLOT & Yes To Tomatos work... I start my COSMEDICINE from Whit tomorrow..

Oooh... Photo projects!

Catherine said...

Awww, I totally do that sometimes too! It's ok.

Oooooh, I need to get myself to a Walgreens! I didn't know they had TheFaceShop there! I think there is one just a tad farther away from us, but there is one around here.

mayaari said...

it could be from trying a bunch of new products on your skin all at once - happens to me when I get excited to try new stuff and it just overloads your skin.

I used the Merlot day/night/eye cream last year and loved it (currently using Laneige right now) - the day moisturizer goes on really light, but it's not drying or anything. I liked using it in the summer since it didn't feel heavy. The night cream is thicker than the day cream, but doesn't feel heavy on the skin either...and the eye cream was just alright. Moisturized enough but maybe I didn't stick with it long enough to see any results...but you definitely get a lot for what you pay for!

Yumeko said...

ah dont feel bad
i have those moments with eng all the time

B said...

Giiiirl, my Japanese has gotten terrible! I know you're like, "But wait a minute....you're Black." Haha, I know. One of my best friends is Japanese and taught me some of the language (and culture...hence why I knew about Hi-Chew, yum!). Now all I know is how to say "I love you", "Thank you" and "Leave me alone". HA!

But anywhoovers, I have heard of Yes to Carrots and Yes to Tomatoes. I have been dying to try them both!